Farm and Ranch Weather and Climate Workshop
Professor & Extension Specialist - Climate Science
Department of Environmental Science
Dr. Crimmins is on the faculty of the Department of Environmental Science at the University of Arizona and is a Climate Science Extension Specialist for Arizona Cooperative Extension. In this position he provides climate science support to resource managers across Arizona by assessing information needs, synthesizing and transferring relevant research results, and conducting applied research projects. His extension and research work supports resource management across multiple sectors including rangelands, forests/wildfire, and water resources as well as informing policy and decision makers. This work aims to support managers by increasing climate science literacy as well as developing strategies to adapt to a changing climate. He also serves as a drought monitoring expert on the Arizona Governor’s Drought Task Force and has worked with counties across Arizona to implement drought preparedness and impact monitoring plans.
University of Arizona Cooperative Extension and the National Weather Service – Tucson Forecast office are sponsoring a morning long training workshop on weather and climate information focused on supporting agricultural and resource management decision- making. Topics will include:
- Finding and interpreting NOAA-NWS weather monitoring and forecast products
- An overview of the UofA Arizona Meteorological Network and crop and irrigation management products
- A discussion of drought monitoring efforts including an overview of the U.S. Drought Monitor
- El Niño and an update of seasonal forecasts through winter of 2014/15
The workshop will end with an informal discussion of information needs and opportunities for further product and service development to support southeast Arizona. Lunch will be provided.
June 12, 2014 – 8:30 -12pm - (Check-in begins at 8am)
Willcox Community Center – Fireplace Room
312 W Stewart Street, Willcox
Please register for the workshop by June 6th by calling 520-384-3594 or by emailing Connie at firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Weather Service Forecast User Defined Forecast Area: Online tool that allows a user to get a forecast for an area they design
- Tucson Forecast Office - National Weather Service Main Page: Home page for all forecast information and tools for southeast Arizona
- National Weather Service - Weather Activity Planner: Generate custom forecast for specific weather variables and user defined areas
- Arizona Meteorological Network: Near-real time weather information and custom decision support products for agricultural and water resources managment
- WestWide Drought Tracker: Climate and drought monitoring maps and custom time series tools to track drought conditions across the western U.S.
- DroughtView: Tool to access and visualize maps and time series animations of remotely sensed 'greenness' or vegetation condition information
- Multi-scale drought plots: Experimental plots that visualize both short and long-term drought conditions across Arizona and New Mexico
- Monsoon summary plots: Experimental plots that track multiple elements of monsoon season precipitation including timing, intensity, and cumulative amounts
Contact Mike Crimmins with questions/comments about the materials/workshop