- About Us
- SW Climate
January 2010 Advisory Board Agenda
Knowledge to Action:
An Assessment of the Transfer of Climate Science to Decision Making
Advisory Board Meeting
January 13, 2010
Session I: Background and Information Sharing
Session goal: To briefly introduce the activities of each utility and RISA to the entire group and to provide the opportunity for information sharing among AB members regarding science-management efforts.
8:45am Laurna Kaatz, "Denver Water: Planning for Climate Change"
9:00am Paul Fleming, "Water and Climate Change: Observations from Seattle"
9:15am Ralph Marra and Ries Lindley, "Tucson Water in an Age of Changing Climate"
9:30am Jeff Lukas, "On collaboratons between Denver Water and the Western Water
9:45am Amy Snover, "Providing Regional Climate Services: UW Climate Impacts Group Interactons with Seatle Public Utilities"
10:00am Gregg Garfin, "CLIMAS-Tucson Water Interactions"
Session II: Examining Existing Needs and Challenges in Science-Management Collaborations
Session goal: Facilitate discussion about the following issues in science-management collaborations.
10:30am Group discussion about the following topics regarding the success and challenges of science-management collaborations (about 20 minutes each)
- Communication issues: Both within and external to your organizations; with other organizations/levels of government; with colleagues and the public; with advisory panels/organizations, etc.
- Collaboration issues: Resources (time, funding, etc), establishing connections/ determining appropriate data; role of “science” and role of “management”; effectiveness of different types of collaborations (e.g. workshops, collaborations on grants); serving in an advisory role via other organizations; distributing findings; coordinating similar efforts; different “capacity” of organizations; etc.
- Science-related issues: Challenges incorporating or delivering scientific information for use in water management; data needs; keeping up with the latest science; etc.
- Other issues: Not discussed in previous topics
12:00pm LUNCH (working lunch)
Session III: Project Strategy Session
Session goal: Prepare strategy for interviews and other data collection.
1:00pm Group discussion about the following issues:
- Based on previous sessions, distill some lessons learned (about both successes and challenges) from past science-management collaborations.
- Identify useful topics/questions to explore during interviews.
- Brainstorm who and what organizations to include in interviews and final workshop.
- Discussion of what information would be useful to utilities and RISA programs from this project.